I had the day off today due to Quito days. I got to sleep in and then Maggie and I watched movies. I decided to bake ginger banana bread. It feels more like Christmas with all of the baking I've been doing. I listened to Christmas music but the lack of snow makes it difficult!
Tomorrow we will hopefully be going out to celebrate the founding of Quito. However, Maggie and I are both sick so we will see what happens. Hope everyone is enjoying the snow back home!
Ginger Banana Bread
Adding ginger to this recipe for banana bread gives it a real kick. You can add more or less ginger according to your taste. I also like to add orange or lemon zest to this recipe to give it even more flavor!
PREP TIME: 20 Min
COOK TIME: 1 Hr
READY IN: 1 Hr 20 Min
* 2 1/4 cups of plain flour
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 cup melted butter
* 2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup plain yogurt
* 3 ripe mashed bananas
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon allspice
* 1-2 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and flour a small loaf pan.
2. Mix the butter and brown sugar together and add the yogurt and mashed up bananas.
3. Sieve the flour into a separate mixing bowl and add baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice and grated ginger.
4. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Bake in the oven at 350F for about 1 hour and test by putting a toothpick in the middle to check if it is cooked all the way through. The toothpick should come out clean.
6. Allow to cool in the loaf pan for 10-15 minutes then place on a cooling rack to cook fully.
I'll tell you how it turns out :)
At Christmas, all roads lead home. ~Marjorie Holmes